This project is read-only.

Changes to Dism GUI

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Hi,

I had some idle time this week and got our resident programmer to make some changes to your program. Mainly, adding the Capture and Apply tabs.

Would that be something you're interested in?

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Yes I definitely would be interested.  Honestly I have not had much time lately to work on this but hopefully in the next few months I can make some of the changes I have been planning.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:08 PM

First off, thank you so much for making this excellent program and for making the source files available so we could work on it in Visual Studio!

I was mostly interested in using this on the winpe tech cd.

First thing I ran into was the version of .net you were using wasn't the same as the current winpe ( version 4 ).

fortunately, visual studio has an option to change that.

Then I bumped into the problem where winpe is purposely dumbed down to not include browsing.

That can be a real problem when you want to browse for source drive / folder and destination drive / folder and just get a blank window.

This was solved using a super cool program called autohotkey to create two small executables for browse folder and browse file ( .wim ).

I did notice that Dism GUI and the browse executables worked best in the system32 folder of the winpe.

If you want to see what we have, let me know where I could upload it.

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Edited Feb 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Howdy all

I am currently working on windows 8 based PXE that allows me to boot a win8 live OS from my Windows deployment server (WDS). I have done this is the past with a win7 base OS and used Imagex with Gimagex to do 1:1 OS captures without the need to Sysprep the OS. With Windows 8 i see i have to move over to DISM, so back to the drawing board for me. DISM GUI looks to be exactly what I need, but i do need capture ability. I will be watching this build for 4.0 with hopes that capture is added, from what i read that looks to be the direction you are going. I would love the opportunity to do some testing if need be. Once this project is working i will be posting a how-to on Spiceworks, Credit will be given for sure.
May 21, 2013 at 1:22 PM
arectech wrote:
First off, thank you so much for making this excellent program and for making the source files available so we could work on it in Visual Studio! I was mostly interested in using this on the winpe tech cd. First thing I ran into was the version of .net you were using wasn't the same as the current winpe ( version 4 ). fortunately, visual studio has an option to change that. Then I bumped into the problem where winpe is purposely dumbed down to not include browsing. That can be a real problem when you want to browse for source drive / folder and destination drive / folder and just get a blank window. This was solved using a super cool program called autohotkey to create two small executables for browse folder and browse file ( .wim ). I did notice that Dism GUI and the browse executables worked best in the system32 folder of the winpe. If you want to see what we have, let me know where I could upload it.  
Hi,

I wish I had seen this post about a week ago. I have added the additional tabs needed for capture and apply and have tested them locally but have not yet tried it out in WinPE. I've also added command-line arguments to be able to open directly to specific tabs. I'd be curious to see how you are handling the issues within WinPE and I'd be more than happy to share what I have done as well. Let me know your thoughts.
Apr 24, 2014 at 5:20 PM
arectech wrote:
Hi, I had some idle time this week and got our resident programmer to make some changes to your program. Mainly, adding the Capture and Apply tabs. Would that be something you're interested in?
Hi
Any chance you could share your updated version with capture and apply added - this is great tool, but I need the ability to capture images as well

Many thanks
Apr 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM
connerrs wrote:
Hi,

I wish I had seen this post about a week ago. I have added the additional tabs needed for capture and apply and have tested them locally but have not yet tried it out in WinPE. I've also added command-line arguments to be able to open directly to specific tabs. I'd be curious to see how you are handling the issues within WinPE and I'd be more than happy to share what I have done as well. Let me know your thoughts.
Hi

Any chance you could share your updated version with capture and apply added - this is great tool, but I need the ability to capture images as well

Many thanks
Jun 18, 2014 at 2:55 PM
Anyway I can get the version of DISMGUI with the capture and apply commands built in. I see arectech has made a version of it but how can I get that version?

Thanks
Sep 25, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Hi All,

I have uploaded version 4.0 of DISM GUI today. I'm treating this version as a beta version because I have not had time to do a lot of testing on it. There is a changelog on the download page. I've added the most requested features and hope to add some more soon. Please download and submit any issues to the Codeplex site.

Mike
Sep 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Hi Mikecel79 - thanks for updating DISM and adding capture/apply - will give it a try and report any issues I find - cheers