DismGUI Requirements

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Hi,

Not overly familiar with DISM and all its features but have been testing this tool out on a Windows 2012 server with MDT 2013 and ADK for Windows 8.1. When I try to Offline service a Windows 8.1 WIM that I have manually capture using this tool it looks like the DISM tool is reverting to look at the version in c:\Windows\System32 (basically DISM version 6.1), the injection of drivers\updates does not work. I have tried launching the tool from the ADK folder where DISM 6.3 is located but the tool keeps running against the older version.

Does this mean that the tool must be run on a Windows 8.1 system to be able to successfully patch\add drivers to a Windows 8.1 image? Or is there some way to make the tool use the DISM version 6.3 that was deployed via the ADK?

Regards,
MarkBow
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Hi Mark,

I have not extensively tested this on Windows 2012 but it should be relying on whichever DISM.exe file it finds first in the path environment variable. I had a plan to set the path of the DISM.exe file as an option but never got around to doing it. It might be included in the next update.

You should be able to inject drivers/updates using the DISM 6.1 found in Windows 2012. Make sure you are running DISMGUI as an Administrator otherwise the DISM commands will fail. Can you paste the output from DISM that you get in the DISM Output box when driver injection fails?
Oct 9, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately when I have tried this tool on a Windows 2012 server to inject updates to a mounted Windows 8.1 WIM it fails every time. Running this on a Windows 8.1 system results in success. I don't think it has anything to do with the tool, I reckon it is down to the version of DISM being unable to work against Windows 8.1, I have tried the DISM process manually as well with Powershell scripts and the issue is the same every time, but when I run the process using the ADK environment tools where DISM 6.3 is called these work perfectly. It would be brilliant if the tool could be amended to be able to somehow point at the version of DISM that comes with the ADK.

Thanks for the hard work on this quite brilliant tool, really makes the process of injecting drivers and patches quite straightforward, keep up the excellent work.

Thanks
Mark
Dec 7, 2016 at 10:23 AM
I also find that when executing the DISM GUI via the ADKtools CMD it brings up the correct DISM..